Thursday, June 18, 2015

Kindness Looks Like.....

A life noted by kindness. That's what a woman in the book of Acts is known for.

There was a believer in Joppa named Tabitha (which in Greek is Dorcas ). She was always doing kind things for others and helping the poor.  (Acts 9:36 NLT)

Kindness can look different in many ways, but one common theme would be sacrificing your own interests for others. Way too often I am thinking of myself: how I feel, my burdens, etc. But Galatians 5 reminds us this should be exemplary in every believer's life.

And our families are the ones who get the short end of the stick so often. I mean, isn't it easier to offer kindness in words or deeds to those who will praise you or reward you somehow? I know I tend to be much more short and snappy in my speech in my home out of impatience (oh, dear, another fruit of the Spirit) and wrong motives. After all, who wants to pick up those dirty socks after the 11millionth time! And yet, the kindness of God is what leads us to repentance. 

So today (and hopefully, every day) I am focusing on my actions and speech. This will not be easy! (I was just interrupted by a little sweetie who wanted to show me her science kit, yet has not done anything she was supposed to yet. These are the hard moments of keeping a sweet attitude and bring firm...oh boy!)

For others in my home it may look different! It may be a simple action that was not asked for. A going-out-of-my-way task to show them love. (They could care less about words right now.)

At other times it may mean overcoming evil with good. Blessing my "enemy"; not cursing! 

And this is all done through the help of the Holy Spirit.

Not alone! For I am not capable of such a thing. 

Revive our hearts (Nancy Leigh DeMoss) has put out a 30 Day Challenge called the Power of Words. It is a little booklet that can be an aid to challenge you to really think through those tiny things that come out of your mouth. 

I am taking the challenge!

No comments: